Thursday, August 21, 2008

Goldilocks and the 18


CONGRATS to the U.S. WOMEN'S SOCCER TEAM!!! They've successfully taken the gold medal! Brazil wasn't an easy team to play against, and it was just about the most defensive game I've seen all year.

Here's my story:
Now...I'd told my boyfriend, everyone at work, our roomate...as many people as I could FIND not to tell me how the game went because I had it TiVO'd at home.

I sit and watch the WHOLE GAME. Not too exciting...though there were some great saves, especially by our goalie Hope Solo.

Pass the first half: 0-0

Into the second half: 0-0

Elbows, knees, bodies flying EVERYWHERE! Best thing: hardly any fouls unless they were absolutely necessarily called. I LOVE ROUGH SOCCER!

87th minute: phone call from my mother.

"Hello mother, what's up?"

Before I get a chance to say anything, especially don't tell me about the game, "Congrats! Your girls did it! Took home the GOLD!"

"DAMN IT!"

So...we sit and watch the rest of the game, which by this time, crunch time, was WAY entertaining.

Carli Lloyd...MAGNIFICANT GOAL...boosh. End of game. And, despite knowing they won, I still jumped up and down, woke up the boyfriend, and probably pissed off the neighbors below us. And, it was the United States official 1,000th gold medal. How cool is that?

My ladies did it! The odds were slightly stacked against them but it was FANTASTIC to watch them drive through everyone and beat them all to the finish line.

Can't wait to see them in more games this September! GO U.S.A.!!!!!

No comments: